The project ΕLMEGO, selected in the context of the Call for targeted actions with a distinctive contribution to the society, was funded by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly. It was implemented from 1/11/2010 to 31/12/2012 by the Lab for Study, Teaching and Dissemination of the Greek Language in cooperation with two other Labs of the University of Thessaly.
The main aim and object of the project was the delivery of specialized courses of Greek language, which allow immigrant parents to develop the necessary skills for an effective communication with the schools attended by their children, in order to facilitate the integration of immigrants in the Greek society. Their attendance was voluntary and free of charge.
Additional outcomes of ELMEGO are:
a) Contribution of the scientific research:
i) to the adoption of positive attitudes towards multilingualism connected with immigration.
ii) to the familiarization of immigrants with the Greek language and the use of the languages of immigration in Greece.
b) Raising awareness of educational institutions and their personnel (school directors, educators) towards enhancing multilingualism and multiculturalism.
c) Contribution to the improvement of the relations of parents (immigrants and others) with the school.
d) Promotion of co-ordination and collaboration between school, academic community, local authorities, and immigrant organizations.
The stages of implementation of the project were six:
1) Recording of the target-group.
2) Review of the relevant international literature and tracing of good practices concerning the linguistic training of immigrant parents.
3) Language and communication needs analysis.
4) Specification of the course targets and development of a specialized syllabus – Design of teaching material in printed form and multimedia – Planning of educational activities.
5) Implementation of pilot courses: 4 classes of 13 persons.
6) Evaluation and assessment of implemented courses; creation of a resource pack.